By Thomas Lang
What I think about the Book
Creative Coordination & Advanced Foot Technique by Thomas lang is a bit of an Advanced book. Although you can attempt it by getting the book and trying it out for yourself. I just want to warn you that it is a little on the more difficult side.
Some of the drumming skills that you may need before embarking on Creative Coordination by Thomas Lang
- You need to be somewhat capable of using each limb interdependently. This is actually the very subject that the book covers. However, you need to be able to do it at least a little bit before attempting the book.
- Most of the book is written in 4/4 time signature. However, toward the end of the book, lang begins to get into some crazy time signatures like 10/4. You will be able to get through most of the book knowing 4/4.
- About 10% of the book has triplets. So you need to know how to read triplets first.
- You also need to have a double bass pedal.
The book is kind of geared towards drummers that want to be able to express themselves easier on the bass drum. The book will help you make each foot more independent from each other. Thus, helping you with expression. The book comes with a CD. However, I don’t know what all of the “Rave” is about with CD’s that come with the book. I popped in it and listened to about 5 tracks. Then I put it back in the sleeve, in the back of the book, and never listened to it again.
I think it is a pretty good book for helping you with double bass. Someday, I will be writing an article about the best books for developing double bass. This book would be about number 4 on a shortlist of about 8.
What the publisher says about the book
Hudson Music is very proud to present Thomas Lang – Creative Control, the long-awaited companion book to the award-winning DVD of the same name. Designed to be used as either a stand-alone product or in combination with the DVD, Lang presents the unique and innovative system that he has used to develop his awesome speed, control, finesse, and coordination – a step-by-step system that will allow you to hone your drumming chops so that you can play more effectively in any style of music. Part I details Lang’s methodology and provides over 90 challenging exercises. Part II contains musical examples that showcase many of the techniques presented in Part I. It also includes play-along rhythm charts for five musical compositions from the DVD which were specially re-mixed without drums exclusively for this book and are included on the enclosed CD.
- Paperback: 148 pages
- Publisher: Hudson Music; 1 edition (February 1, 2007)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1423425693
- ISBN-13: 978-1423425694
ISBN 1423433866. 9×12 inches. Thomas Lang.
Softcover with CD. 84 pages. Published by Hudson Music
This Post Has One Comment
Pingback: Thomas Lang - The Drum Rudiments.com